Sunday 30 January 2011

Cricket ,Tennis or Birds?


It`s a cold (-1*) grey Sunday morning and I have some free time, but I also have a dilemma, what should I choose, the Cricket, the Tennis or bird watching? Let me explain, England are playing Australia in the 5th One Day International Cricket match in Australia, Andy Murray is playing Novak Djokovic in the Australian Open Tennis Final and it`s the weekend of the annual RSPB Big Garden Birdwatch. So, over a leisurely breakfast of tea, toast and marmalade I devise a plan: - First, a quick dash out into the cold to top up the feeders and break the ice on the birdbath then turn up the central heating, turn on the radio for the end of the Cricket, turn on the TV for the Tennis and draw up my armchair to a position where I can watch the birds (and the TV), find pencil, paper and binos then put the kettle on for a nice cup of tea, and I`m sorted!

Well, all I can say is thank goodness for the birds, they saved the day by putting on a great show, as always.
We were beaten in the cricket (although our two tail enders did put on a spirited effort). And in the tennis Andy Murray was beaten in straight sets. The birds however were the stars of the morning, surprisingly though a great many of them preferred the bathing facilities to the food, and I spent most of the hour watching their antics on/in the birdbath. There was also one individual who seemed to be suffering from a late night and spend most of the hour appearing to be fast asleep!! (photo below).

Here is my list of sightings submitted to the RSPB.
Blackbird – 2 (a pair)
Blue tit – 2
Chaffinch – 1 (male)
Collared Dove – 2
Dunnock – 1
Goldfinch – 4
House Sparrow – 7
Robin – 1
Starling – 14
Woodpigeon – 2

And here are a few photos taken in poor light through the double glazed window! 

Sweet Dreams


2 comments:

holdingmoments said...

Great set of shots Trevor. Love that scruffy looking Sparrow.
Did my birdwatch yeterday, but the computer has died on me, and I've lost the results. This laptop is next to useless, but it's got me here.

The Herald said...

Thanks Keith, Yeh that Sparrow,is there a law about taking photos of birds when they`ve just got out of the bath? lol.

Bad news about the computer. I hope it`s not to much problem to get it sorted.