Tuesday 24 April 2018

Geometry...nature's way



Rhombus....an oblique-angled equilateral parrallelogram having four equal sides >

Rhombic....having the form of a Rhombus >

Rhombic Leatherbug (Syromastus rhombeus)   9-11mm body lenght.  Local to coastal regions in southern England and also a few scattered inland sites.

Nature's geometry...


A few days ago, while out walking in one of my local nature reserves, I came across a large patch of (I think?) Common Chickweed (Stelllaria media), on closer inspection I found that it was covered in lots of these stunning Leatherbugs..a cue for a photo session!



What it's all about...

 What do you call this shape then?

 Who you looking at?

Way more interesting than the geometry lessons I had at school!



7 comments:

Adrian Ward said...

These are really wonderful. The shape is called a pleasing.

The Herald said...

Thanks Adrian. Yep, nature has a way of creating pleasing shapes!...[;o)

Roy Norris said...

Yes this could well be a Trapezoid or a Parallelogram or a quadrilateral or all three.
"Not a lot of people know that", or it could just be a funny looking insect Trevor. :))

Bob Bushell said...

Fabulous Leatherbugs, I love them Trevor.

The Herald said...

Roy, now you're confusing me...they still look good from any angle though!...[;o)

Thanks Bob...[;o)

Douglas Mcfarlane said...

Weird and wonderful, great images...though mating looks precarious

The Herald said...

Thanks Douglas. Yep, living life on the edge...I think that's what it's called, not that I know much about it!!...[;o)