Monday 23 January 2017

A NEW YEAR SELECTION


 It's been a while since I've posted on here...about six months!, for no good reason apart from a large dose of lethargy on my part. So, I thought I'd better make the effort and start off the new year with a selection of images taken over the last month.

We've had a few crisp, bright and frosty days over the last few weeks and most of the local water bodies have had large amounts of ice on them, concentrating the wildfowl into smaller areas than normal...making life a little easier for the photographer...!


Gadwall taking flight...



Tufted Duck fly over...

 
 A pretty in pink Mr. Wigeon...


 There's quiet a few Goosander being reported in the area at the moment...



Still finding it difficult getting the contrast right between the iridescent green head and the subtle salmon pink tinged body of the male!



Plenty of 'winter' thrushes about at the moment too...

Fieldfare



Redwing


A male Reed Bunting... 


And in plain view, instead of using it's camouflage to 'hide' in the undergrowth, a fly over Snipe...


And my 'bestest' little birds of the year..so far!..a very showy pair of Stonechats...

 Female

Male


That's it...thanks for looking.


 

8 comments:

Roy Norris said...

A really special set of images Trevor.
A wonderful start to the year.
Lethargy. Its this (SAD) Seasonally Adjusted Syndrome, it grips hold of you this time of year.
Roll on the Spring.

FOREST SNAPPER said...

So nice to hear from you again Trevor, not lost your touch in getting good photos i see.

peter

Bob Bushell said...

Fabulous Trevor, they are beautiful, your pictures of the Goosanders are the work of a genius.

Douglas Mcfarlane said...

I like the flight shots of the Goosander, I too struggle on the male and its colour and often find myself compromising.
But of course my favourite is the Stonechat, a personal favourite bird of mine

holdingmoments said...

Some great flight shots there Trev and excellent capture of the Snipe.

The Herald said...

Thanks Roy. No, it's not SAD that's the problem (I'm a happy chappy, me!) it's more to do with the amount of photographs I take...last year I really got into photographing insects and with their great diversity in form and colour I could easily come home after a day out with 200, or more, images to sort through and ID. Needless to say I soon amassed a backlog of images which meant I had no time to do any posts...that's my excuse anyway!
Yep, can't wait for Spring to arrive...more insects..yay!...[;o)


Thanks Peter...I keep trying!...[;o)


Thank you Bob, Glad you like them...I think genius is pushing it a bit though!...[;o)


Cheers Douglas, I'll keep practicing with the male Goosander shots....I might get one that I like eventually!!
Super showy little birds those Stonechats...[;o)


Thanks Keith. Yeh, I heard the Snipe calling overhead, fortunately it circled a couple of times for a photo call. it was good to get 'clear' views for a change...[;o)

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

Well lovely to see you back blogging. Yes it has been a long time but you haave not lost your touch as these images are marvellous with some lovely reflections. HAPPY NEW YEAR to you and hope it wil be less than 6 months before you post again.

The Herald said...

Thanks Margaret, hopefully the posting rate will be on the up in the future!? Best wishes to you too for a Happy New Year...[;o)