Sunday 22 February 2015

A SELECTION



It’s been a while since my last post so I’m guessing that it’s about time I did another one?


Here’s a selection of images taken on my recent wanderings.


Selection One 1 BB
Female BLACKBIRD not black at all but, in the right light, showing subtle shades of brown.

Selection One 2 H
A GREY HERON not looking too happy on a frosty cold morning.

Selection One 3 GLG
Greylag Geese on final approach.

Selection One 4 HG
Immature Herring Gull  As I still find the ageing of gulls beyond me I’ve labelled this one as immature!

Selection One 5 C 
A COOT no doubt on it’s way to a fight somewhere?

Selection One 6 J
The JAY, with it’s stunning markings and colourful plumage, is one of my favourite birds to see.

Selection One 7 J
And another.

Selection One 8 K
A female KESTREL with the sun on her back.

Selection One 9 MS
Not an ugly duckling but an already elegant and graceful juvenile MUTE SWAN.

Selection One 10 S
A STARLING captured in my garden in the late afternoon light showing off it’s beautiful plumage.

Selection One 11 W
A WIGEON flyover.


And finally……


What am I…..
Selection One 12 GL CG
A CANALAG or maybe a LAGCANA?



And….

Selection One 13 Barry BHG
Barry the BLACK-HEADED GULL who’s regretting listening to all his pals when they assured him that doing a barrel roll was easy peasy lemon squeezy.



14 comments:

Douglas Mcfarlane said...

Looks like Barry the Gull and I have a lot in common, ouch. Some great flight shots Keith the Asbo Coot, gull and Kestrel are superb as are the Jays, I felt sorry for the heron it looks so cold.

ADRIAN said...

This post should have come with a warning. I very nearly had an accident when I saw the Blackheaded Gull.
A great selection and the Jays are perfect.

FAB said...

An excellent selection Trevor.

Yeah .. larger Gulls defeat me unless they are in full adult plumage but I think your ID is ok.

Had to chuckle when I saw Barry. You did well to capture his acrobatic skills.

Bob Bushell said...

Great photos Trevor, and the last one is so funny.

Roy Norris said...

Another great set Trevor. The low level Greylag shot is amazing and what creative photography is all about.
You caught the Kestrel in a perfect pose as well.
Not sure about the barrel roll though, had he done three in the climb then I would have been impressed.{:))

FOREST SNAPPER said...

Great set of photos Trevor and good to have you posting again.

peter

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

Hi Trevor. Good to see the post. How on earth did you get that last shot? All your shots are excellent but the light on the Starling is Marvellous. The first Jay shot is stunning and all the flight shots are great especially the lighting on the Kestrel. As for the Canada goose, well whose been a naughty boy! Have a great week.

The Herald said...

Cheers Douglas. Yeah, you and Barry should get together and compare x-rays! I don't know who was coldest me or the Heron?...[;o)

Thanks Adrian, I'll put up suitable warnings next time...[;o)

Thank you Frank. Yeah, The IDing of young Gulls is something I fear I'll never master!...[;o)

Thanks Bob, I'm glad it gave you a laugh...[;o)

Thank you Roy. I'm sure that Barry is practicing all his aerial skills at this very moment!...[;o)

Thanks Peter...[;o)

Thank you Margaret. The last (lucky) shot was from a burst sequence I fired off as the Gull flew by (I guess it was just having a little shake to dislodge some water) Yeah, those geese?..tut! tut!...[;o)

theconstantwalker said...

A wonderful selection Trevor.
The Jay shots are fantastic... a bit of a bogey bird for me.

The Herald said...

Thanks Andrew...[;o)

Savannah Jo Elliott said...

I'm very fond of birds, so of course I found these photos pretty. I like the one of the Greylag Geese and the Jay. They're all so beautiful!

The Herald said...

Savannah, I'm glad you liked them. Thank you...[;o)

northernbliss said...

Just stumbled across your blog and was very impressed with your photos - especially the starling - one of my favourite birds.
I will keep an eye on "the Herald" in the future.
Well done!!

The Herald said...

northernbliss, thanks for stumbling by! I'm glad you liked what you found, and thanks you for your kind comments...[;o)