Thursday 25 August 2011

TATTERED, TORN AND FADING AWAY




Whilst out walking earlier this week I couldn't help but notice that most of the butterflies I saw were looking rather the worse for wear, as they now, after showing well all Summer and with Autumn fast approaching, start to come to the end of their life cycle.

Common Blue male

Common Blue female

Meadow Brown male

Meadow Brown female

Chalkhill Blue male

Gatekeeper female

Gatekeeper female
 Note the slightly different (small) spot markings on these two females.


And finally my hero of the day, this badly worn Common Blue male, even in this state, still appeared  able to fly perfectly well, and indeed was rigorously defending 'his patch' from anything that came remotely near!
 

 A great example of how nature is 'hot wired' to do its thing, regardless!

8 comments:

ADRIAN said...

The last is a hero. Thank you for these......I haven't seen many butterflies this year.

holdingmoments said...

Great shots Trevor, but that last one is amazing. It's a wonder it can still fly.

Roy said...

Amazing images Trevor, tattered, torn and fading away, yes I know the feeling.{:)

The Herald said...

Thanks Adrian. Yeh,I think its been a below average year for butterflies this year. [;o)

Keith, thank you. I was astonished to see that poor old Common Blue flying, it was behaving exactly the same as if it had just emerged! [;o)

Cheers Roy, I know just what you mean! lol. [;o)

theconstantwalker said...

A lovely series... thanks for sharing.

The Herald said...

Andrew, thank you.

Bob Bushell said...

Superb shots, but, I love the last.

The Herald said...

Thanks Bob. Yeh, amazing that last one, my hero of the day! [;o)