Thursday 9 December 2010

Wow! Wow! Waxwings in Woburn

Well today it finally happened, I managed to get my first ever photos of Waxwings. It was cold and sunny when I arrived in Woburn (Bedfordshire) at about 9:30a.m. On scanning the trees I spotted about ten Waxwings feeding on White Sorbus berries, they were rather skittish, as the trees are situated beside one of the busy roads leading into Woburn, and every time a big truck went by they flew away. After about an hour the flock steadily increased to about a hundred birds.
And Wow what a stunning bird they are, I was just knocked out by their beauty, especially when illuminated in the bright sunlight. I`m afraid I got rather carried away and spent the next three hours snapping away like my life depended on it, finally stopping when the light started to go. But I`ll definitely be back, for another fix, in the next couple of days.


 

2 comments:

holdingmoments said...

Wow Trevor, superb set. So glad you caught up with them at last. They really are such an excellent bird, and very co-operative at times. And a 100; that must have been quite a sight.

The Herald said...

Thanks Keith. Yeh, they were showing very well, apart from when they were spooked by the traffic (and even then, being such numbers they performed just like a flock of Starlings)

There are still plenty of berries left so I think another visit is on the cards soon.